Water-resistant means the ability of a device to work normally even water can pass through it. It has some limits like the depth of the water and the working time of the device in water is low. Whereas waterproof means the device can’t able to pass water through it. No matter how much time the device is being in the water. Comparing waterproof is the best feature than water-resistant because it doesn’t have a time limit.
What is the IP rating of waterproof?
IP means ‘Ingress Protection’ is the special ability of a device that has the capability to work even it is affected by water, dust, and weather. The IP rating was certified by the International Electrotechnical Commission with a standard IEC 60529.
Let us take the iPhone 11 mobile IP rating to understand clearly. The IP rating of iPhone 11 is IP68. In this IP68, IP represents Ingress Protection. The first digit 6 represents the solid protection and the second digit 8 represents liquid protection. The solid and liquid protection levels from 0 to 6 and 0 to 9 respectively. There must be no signs, symbols, and space in IP68. If so then it is considered an error.
The IP rating test and certification cost
The cost of a product is to vary before and after the certificate. Some of the countries in the world have their own standards of certifying. The standards can help the brand or a company survive in their country only. But to get international IP testing, the company needs to consult the International Electrotechnical Commission. Around 162 world countries gather to form three major standard organizations. They are
- International Electrotechnical Commission
- International Organization for Standardization
- International Telecommunications Union
We call them as the three sister Organization and each of them have equal power with 1/3 share of setting global standards. If any new feature need to globalize it must be accepted by all the countries or the above three organization.
Generally the IP water-resistant certificate was given by the International Electrotechnical Commission, based in Switzerland. It took so much time for a product to be tested and the cost of certification is at least a quarter high to the normal product cost. Because of this reason, OnePlus 7 Pro has not certified even it is a water resistant piece. The company always wants to give better quality products at cheap costs. OnePlus share its views on IP ratings through the official blog “We know that an IP rating would be the simplest way to prove our phone’s capability, but the certification doesn’t help us communicate our focus on your real experience, which is why we created this direct and relatable video to show you what our water-resistant quality can actually bring to you in your real life in a more powerful way.”
What is the best IP rating?
There are different kinds of devices in the market having different IP rating. But among all those, we consider these are the best because of its good features for convenient use like we can swim, run, taking shower, and no need to worry about rainwater pouring. The listing IP ratings are the most popular.
- IP65-Here 6 gives total dust Ingress protection and 5 gives low-pressure water jets protection through Nozzles.
- IP66-6 gives protection against dust and 6 gives high-pressure water jets protection.
- IP67-6 as usual dust protection and water protection up to one-meter depth.
- IP68-Dust protection indicated by 6 and it has finite pressure capability.
IP rating table:
IP rating table is basically a table but now I want to give you some mental work. We can define IP rating by using the small formula, that is…
IP rating = Ingress Protection(first digit)(second digit)
The first digit represents solid protection and it must be anyone from 0 to 6.
- If the first digit is ‘0’ then it has no special protection.
- If the first digit is ‘1’ then it has the ability to protect against 50 mm diameter objects.
- If the first digit is ‘2’ then it is capable of protection from objects having 80 mm length and 12 mm diameter and also our hand pressure.
- If the first digit is ‘3’ then it has protection against tools, wires, etc.
- If the first digit is ‘4’ then it must has protection against solids objects larger than 1 mm which are screws, insects, wires, etc.
- If the first digit is ‘5’ then it has partial protection from dust.
- If the first digit is ‘6’ then it has full protection from dust.
The second digit represents the liquid protection and it must be anyone from 0 to 9.
- If the second digit is ‘0’ then it has no special protection.
- If the second digit is ‘1’ then it has partial protection from water droplets.
- If the second digit is ‘2’ then it has protection against 15 degrees water droplets.
- If the second digit is ‘3’ then it has protection against spray up to 60 degrees vertical.
- If the second digit is ‘4’ then it has capable of splashes from all directions up to 10 minutes.
- If the second digit is ‘5’ then it has protection against low power jets of water.
- If the second digit is ‘6’ then it has protection from high power jets pressure.
- If the second digit is ‘7’ then it has protection against a depth of water up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.
- If the second digit is ‘8’ then it has the capability to protect against high-pressure water.
- If the second digit is ‘9’ then it has protection against high-pressure and high-temperature jet sprays of water.
Also read :