Almost all the top brand mobiles are coming up with the IP rating capability.
First, I need to clear one thing. The pure waterproof device doesn’t exist in tech. Because it is time independent. All the electric and electronic devices we are using can able to resist the water for a certain span of time either it may be in minutes, hours or days.
Let’s see the difference between water resistant and waterproof.
Water Resistant vs Waterproof
Water-resistant means the ability of a device to work normally even water can pass through it. It has some limits like the depth of the water, and the working time of the device in water is low. Whereas waterproof means the device can’t able to pass water through it. No matter how much time the device is being in the water. Comparing waterproof is the best feature than water-resistant because it doesn’t have a time limit.
IP raing mean?
IP means ‘Ingress Protection’ is the special ability of a device that can work even if it is affected by water, dust, and weather. The International Electrotechnical Commission certified the IP rating with a standard IEC 60529.
Let us take the example of the term ‘IP68’ water rating. Here the IP mean Ingress Protection, and the first number 6 represents the physical ability of the device. The second number 8 represents the liquid capability of the device.
In the similar way we can see IP65, IP67, and other rater ratings based on the table below.
- Useful Read : How to fix mobile battery draining?
The IP rating test and certification cost
The cost of a product is to vary before and after the certificate. Some countries in the world have their own standards of certifying. The standards can help the brand or a company survive in their country only. But to get international IP testing, the company needs to consult the International Electrotechnical Commission. Around 162 world countries gather to form three major standard organizations. They are.
- International Electrotechnical Commission
- International Organization for Standardization
- International Telecommunications Union
We call them the three sister organizations and each of them has equal power with 1/3 share of setting global standards. If any additional feature needs to globalize, it must be accepted by all the countries or the above three organizations.
The IP water-resistant certificate was given by the International Electrotechnical Commission, based in Switzerland. It took so much time for a product to be tested and the cost of certification is at least a quarter high than the normal product cost. Because of this reason, the OnePlus 7 Pro has not certified even it is a water-resistant piece. The company always wants to give better quality products at cheap costs.
OnePlus share its views on IP ratings through the official blog “We know that an IP rating would be the simplest way to prove our phone’s capability, but the certification doesn’t help us communicate our focus on your real experience, which is why we created this direct and relatable video to show you what our water-resistant quality can actually bring to you in your real life in a more powerful way.”
What is the best IP rating?
There are different devices in the market having different IP rating. But among all those, we consider these are the best because of its pleasant features for convenient use like we can swim, run, taking shower, and no need to worry about rainwater pouring. The listing IP ratings are the most popular.
- IP65-Here 6 gives total dust Ingress protection and 5 gives low-pressure water jets protection through Nozzles.
- IP66-6 gives protection against dust and 6 gives high-pressure water jets protection.
- IP67-6 as usual, dust protection and water protection up to one-meter depth.
- IP68-Dust protection showed by 6 and it has finite pressure capability.
IP rating table:
IP rating table is basically a table, but now I want to give you some mental work. We can define IP rating by using the small formula, that is…
IP rating = Ingress Protection (first digit) (second digit)
The first digit represents solid protection, and it must be anyone from 0 to 6.
- If the first digit is ‘0’ then it has no special protection.
- If the first digit is ‘1’ then it can protect against 50 mm diameter objects.
- If the first digit is ‘2’ then it is capable of protection from objects having 80 mm length and 12 mm diameter and also our hand pressure.
- If the first digit is ‘3’ then it has protection against tools, wires, etc.
- If the first digit is ‘4’ then it must have protection against solid objects larger than 1 mm which are screws, insects, wires, etc.
- If the first digit is ‘5’ then it has partial protection from dust.
- If the first digit is ‘6’ then it has full protection from dust.
The second digit represents the liquid protection, and it must be anyone from 0 to 9.
- If the second digit is ‘0’ then it has no special protection.
- If the second digit is ‘1’ then it has partial protection from water droplets.
- If the second digit is ‘2’ then it has protection against 15 degrees of water droplets.
- If the second digit is ‘3’ then it has protection against spray up to 60 degrees vertical.
- If the second digit is ‘4’ then it has capable of splashes from all directions up to 10 minutes.
- If the second digit is ‘5’ then it has protection against low power jets of water.
- If the second digit is ‘6’ then it has protection from high power jets pressure.
- If the second digit is ‘7’ then it has protection against a depth of water up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.
- If the second digit is ‘8’ then it has the capability to protect against high-pressure water.
- If the second digit is ‘9’ then it has protection against high-pressure and high-temperature jet sprays of water.
For your better understand, I can give you an example with the IP rating of the Apple device. We all know the iPhone 12 is the latest mobile piece from Apple.
So we take the iPhone 12 as an example of IP rating device.
- Useful Read : Is it worth buying iPhone SE 2 in 2021?
iPhone 12 IP rating
The iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro max devices have IP68 ratings that mean we can keep this device underwater at a maximum depth of 6 meters for 30 minutes. The rating is given by the IEC. So, you don’t need to worry to use this feature.
My suggestion is, use this feature whenever you really need it. Casual testing is not a problem if your device is under warranty. But, after the warrant, you should really be careful about your expensive device.