Hibernate is one of the most useful features in Windows 10. Today, on this page, we are going to see the complete information about Hibernate in Windows 10. After reading this article, you can activate the hibernate mode on your Windows 10 PC, enable and disable it according to your requirement, its uses, and more…
So, before getting late, let’s see what it is…
What is Hibernate in Windows?
The Hibernate is a shutdown feature in Windows. If you want to keep your PC in Hibernate mode means the computer will shut down after saving all your data on SSD. When you turn ON your PC, all your paused data will be resumed, and the computer recalls it from SSD storage. The hibernate mode is present on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.
The system can use any type of storage device to save data on this Hibernate mode. If your OS is installed on a Hard disk, then the hibernate data will save on a hard disk. If it was on SSD, the hibernate data will be on SSD.
For better performance, I suggest that you keep an SSD or M.2 on your PC. With a Hard disk, you’ll feel a lag in performance. Find more about HDD vs SSD.
However, some of you may feel that hibernate and shutdown options are the same. But they can’t.
Hibernate vs shutdown :
Hibernate is a shutdown process where we can keep all our work safe or paused. But in the shutdown process, the computer closes all the running applications on it. Both hibernate and shutdown have their unique advantages. I prefer to hibernate to shut down because of my work. However, the shutdown is the primary power option in a computer.
- Useful Read : How to shut down a PC?
Why is hibernate disabled in windows 10?
By default, in Windows 10, the hibernate and sleep options are not active. There is no particular reason for this. The developers think that these (Hibernate and Sleep) are optional features. And if anybody wants to use them, they can activate them by going through the settings. Once you activated hibernate and sleep modes, they will display on the shutdown options.
This is a simple process to enable hibernate mode in Windows 10. However, you can enable and disable these features whenever you want.
- Useful Read : Sleep mode in Windows 10: The complete guide
Enable/Disable Hibernate Windows 10 :
To enable hibernate in Windows 10, follow these steps.
- Type ‘control panel‘ on the search bar. You’ll find the control panel app, click on it.
- Go to ‘System & Security‘ on the listed options in the control panel
- Click on ‘Change what the power buttons do‘ under power options
- There you can find the tab shown below
Here, the hibernate and sleep options are just visible, but you can’t modify or activate them.
- To activate them, click on ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable
- Now you’ll modify those options of hibernating and sleep
- And don’t forget to click on ‘save changes‘ after you enable Hibernate in Windows 10
- Now your PC will display Hibernate mode in shutdown options.
To disable hibernate mode on your PC, just unselect the ‘Hibernate‘ option and click on ‘Save changes.’
How to Hibernate Windows 10?
We’ve seen how to enable and disable hibernate mode in Windows 10. Now we’ll see how to hibernate Windows 10 PC. There are different ways to hibernate your Windows 10 PC. Let’s see some of the easy ways.
Windows 10 Hibernate shortcut :
- Use the shortcut key (Alt+F4) on your desktop.
- The shut down options will display. Select ‘Hibernate‘ from them.
- And click OK. Now your PC will get into hibernate mode.
Note: Use this shortcut (Alt+F4) only on the desktop. Otherwise, the current application you are using will get closed.
Change what power buttons do :
The power button is an instant way to start a computer. And also, the power button helps to shut down a computer too. We have to choose what the power buttons do in the control panel settings. Follow the steps to check and change what your PC power buttons do.
- Open the control panel app
- Click on ‘System and Security.’
- There you can select ‘Change what the power buttons do‘ under ‘Power options.’
- This is the same page that you can find on enabling hibernate mode on your PC.
- Choose ‘Hibernate’ for both options ‘When I press the power button‘ and ‘When I press the sleep button.’
- Now when you press the power button, your PC will get into hibernate mode and when you choose sleep mode, your PC will get into hibernate.
- If you want to perform sleep mode for the sleep button, then select the ‘sleep mode‘ for ‘When I press the sleep button.’
Windows tab controls :
- When you press the Windows button on your keyboard, the Windows tab will appear on your desktop screen.
- Then click on the Power icon, the shutdown options will display.
- Select ‘Hibernate’ from the listed options. Now your PC will get into hibernate mode.
Drop your mail to find more content like this in your inbox.