Whether you make the disk partition or not, doesn’t matter. But you need to know how to make the disk partition on Windows 10?. And this exactly what you get from this page step-by-step.
As PC users, we need to know some basic computer knowledge. And this information of partitioning a hard disk in windows 10 is also a part of that knowledge.
We make the disk partition by two methods. One is using the free Windows 10 home application “Disk management.” And the other is using third-party software like EaseUS, etc.
If you want free third-party software to make disk partition on your PC, here you can find the best 5. But, here I go with the free and easy method.
Simple methods to get into disk management of Windows 10 :
To make a partition of a disk, we need to get into the disk management page. There are some simple ways to get into the disk management page.
Straight from the ‘Window’ button :
- If you are reading this on your PC, move your cursor to the Window button (located at the bottom left of the screen by default)
- Then give a right-click on the Windows logo and select disk management from the list. Here how it looks like.
Through ‘Run’ prompt :
- Move your cursor right from the Windows logo and click on the search box
- Type ‘Run’ and press Enter
- A pop-up (Run) tab will display on the screen. Type “diskmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- The other shortcut to open the ‘Run’ tab is Windows key+R
From ‘File Explorer’ :
- Windows key+E ( Windows shortcut for file explorer)
- In the File Explorer, select “This PC” and right-click on it. A list of options will appear.
- Select “Manage” from the list. “Computer Management” will open.
- Here you need to select the “Disk Management” under “Storage“
Windows Key+E => This PC => Manage => Computer Management => Disk Management
Disk Partition in Windows 10 (step-by-step) :
A disk partition is not a one-click process and also it is not a difficult process as well. However, the below steps will get you through the process.
1. Select the disk that you want to make a change
In the first step, you need to select the disk that you want to shrink volume. My recommendation is, select the high-volume device to shrink because it gives the balance disk partition.
Because Windows is running on ‘Disk C’ and I have enough volume on ‘Disk C’ (not more and not less). So, I don’t want to make changes to it. The hard disk is my option for partition.
2. Select the option ‘Shrink Volume’
For example, if I want to take storage from ‘Local Disk G’, right-click on it. The options will be displayed like this.
From them, select ‘Shrink volume‘. A new tab will open.
3. Enter the volume that you want in MBs
It looks like the pic below. There, you can enter the volume (in MBs) that you want.
If you are trying to make a mismatching partition, then the message will be displayed like this “You can not shrink a volume beyond a point where any unmovable files are located.”
After you select the volume that you want to shrink, click on Shrink.
4. Windows will keep the shrank volume as unallocated memory
There is no need to make a change of disk partition in my PC. So, I’m not doing it. But I’m just showing you how to make it.
After you shrink the volume from a disk, the Windows will keep this shrank volume as “Unallocated Memory.”
From the pic, you can see the Unallocated Memory of 51 MB in Disk 1. Usually, it is shown in Black color.
5. Create the new volume space
To use this Unallocated memory, right-click on it. The options will display like this.
Select the “New Simple Volume” from it.
Volume Wizard will open. Click on “Next.”
The wizard will ask the volume size (in MBs) that you want to make the Volume capacity of a Disk.
After you select the volume, click on “Next.”
Give a drive letter to the New Disk. It is required for identification. If you don’t want, click on “Do not assign a drive letter or drive path.” And tap on “Next.”
That’s it. Your new Disk is ready to use. If you want, you can “Merge” the Unallocated Memory to the Disk to add on.
By this process, you can make a new disk partition on Windows 10 PC. Hope this information will help you to make this disk partition process by yourself.
If you have any doubts regarding this, feel free to ask me in the comment section.
Also, drop your mail to get useful computer knowledge to your inbox.